Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Lost In Time

The time we spend in childhood seems to drag on forever, we wish it away, even as we are squeezing every moment of joy from it.  "I want to be 5 and go to school, I want to be 10 and out of the single digits, I want to be a teenager" and on and on.



The time we spend in adulthood, zooms past us as if we are allotted only half as much as we once had, and this block of time is more delicate and not as easily spent in the essence of sheer joy, but more divided by various responsibilities and the management of this time allotment; never is this more true than when children enter your life.



My time is no longer my own, but merely a tool used to enhance their short visit through this wonderland called childhood, I am at peace with this,  I had many years to use my time as I saw fit and honestly, I didn't do that much with it when I had it all to myself;.but now that it is no longer truly mine to spend as I see fit, I am so grateful for the moments I do get to control and capture and spend once again in sheer joy.

Moments I want to remember:



Aubriana putting on a favorite dress, jumping on the bed in circles and announcing "I'm so happy!"




Lil Dude coming to my bed at 4:00 in the morning;  awake from some wrong turn in dream land, going from a sleepy baby to telling me the plots of at least 10 different movies and tv shows rapid fire. Than spontaneously breaking into his ABC song in the sweetest little boy voice I've ever heard. 



Seeing their faces at Disneyland.  I always said "I would never take children who were not potty trained or under 5 on an airplane or to an amusement park" ~ I was WRONG!  They are still talking about it almost a month later!

Aubriana, the first time she held my face in her hands and lookeddeep into my eyes, using the most genuine voice anyone has ever spoken to me in, whisper succintly,  "I Love You". As if she had just realized it for the first time herself.

Breaking every rule in the book on how to get your toddler to bed, by laying in bed with Lil Dude and as I am running my fingers on his back and he turns over and makes me stop so he can run his fingers along my face and tell me he doesn't ever want to leave me.


Spending an afternoon in a splash pool, pretending to be mermaids and squirting one another with squirt guns and teaching them to hold their breath under water.


Lil Dude and Aubriana beng chased by Daddy all over the mall play area and Mommy being the safe spot where you can get a tic tac and a drink of water.  Lil Dude whose hair is a mass of sweaty curls announces "my team is hot"  and "my team needs a break".

Playing air hockey and not keeping score.



Getting the ball to roll all the way to the end and even hit some pins.



Kissing your grandma and making her so happy.



My memory isn't what it used to be, and I'm not very good at snapping every moment with a camera.  I hope these random posts of words will trigger memories for me and my litte darlings to remind us all how much joy we tried to squeeze out of our time together.

Thank you for the time of my life.
Mommy

9 comments:

Jodi said...

sweet sweet sweet!

Debra said...

Being a Mommy suits you so well. I swear you look at least 20 years younger in these photos!
Blessings

Christie said...

I just quite literally burst into tears reading the very last line.

So thanks for that...

and a kiss and a hug around your neck

Wanda said...

Beautiful post Valerie - you made me weep with the deep truth of your words.

Thank you.

You all look so happy - what an amazing life your darling children are having. ('Cause we are just along for the ride. And what a ride!!)

Hugs,
W

Dita said...

Well, my Darling Friend...where do I begin?

Imagine my surprise when I finally returned to Bloggerville today and I find a post from you almost 2 weeks ago that I missed!

I absolutely LOVE your new blog design and all the goodies, colors and fun little places for me to venture to here.


The pictures are wonderful because I get a chance to see all of you in one place enjoying the special moments. I cannot believe you survived that trip with both of them, in diapers...well under 5...I am wondering if you needed heavy doses of alcohol (oh, I forgot you don't drink...that's ME...I needed a drink just to look at the two of them in strollers and imagine navigating Disney like that!)

Your words, as always, gave me goosebumps. I know each of those moments you speak of...they are happening here as well...and when they do, I just want to capture them in a jar and hold onto them forever.

You have captured them through your beautiful words and images right here for your babies...forever.

I miss you terribly and can't wait until we catch up "in person".

Keep posting and capturing these moonbeams in the jar for them.

xoxoxoxo
love you,
Dita Darling

Diana said...

Loved this post..my oldest just tured 17 yesterday and I had the hardest time with it as he was just the most adorable 8 month old that was handed to be when the stork plane brought him to us from Korea..Enjoy your babies as they grow up way to fast:(

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Hi Valerie,

I felt as if I was there with you and the kids for each and every one of these moments you described......

I am most positive that one day your beautiful children will read these words or posts and feel like they have been transported back in time.

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip to Disney....I had to laugh, because that is my rule too, no Disney until you are 5 years old!!

I hope that you are well and trying to stay cool.... I hear the heat down there has been unbearable!

xoxo,

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I love it! Isn't it great when you find peace in the craziness of it all?

Mimi said...

Hi Valerie, I think I missed this post while on holiday, and I'm so glad i caught it now.

I love your words here-
"I had many years to use my time as I saw fit and honestly, I didn't do that much with it when I had it all to myself"

and the whole post has this feeling of your utter happiness in being a mother.

Love it!