Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Story Of Lil' Dude

Hi All,

This post is long overdue and almost a year in the telling. Many people have asked me about our son, heretofore not acknowledged and only recently referred to as " Lil Dude".

Our original intent when we started the adoption process was to adopt twice from China; our thoughts were, we are "older" parents and having a sibling that also happened to share the same birth country would enrich our children's lives and give them something significant in common with one another.

Needless to say, over 3 years ago, this dream was a possibility, but then the China program started to shift, and the wait time lengthened dramatically and requirements changed which eliminated the chance for us to going back for a sister for Aubriana.

The wait became so unbearable for us, that I started to investigate alternative avenues to create our family. In 2006 alone, we applied and lost out on 6 different adoptions, both locally and abroad. It was a very low time for me.

In 2007, we participated in a program to host a 9 year old boy from the Ukraine to be his advocates to try to find him a family in the USA. I had never entertained the idea of a son before, it was always going to be two girls from China, I had their names embroidered on Christmas stockings, I knew they would be about 2 to 3 years apart in age and that would be my life; when you plan your life, God laughs.

This boy arrived, speaking no English, he had the Russian equivalent of my name, Valiery and my mother's birth date; he was cute, and smart and we fell in love with him. We decided we would alter our plans and adopt this boy and then go to China for a younger sister....but again, God had other plans.

The program turned out to be riddled with problems and all of the host families that tried to pursue the adoption of our little wards were turned away. Adoption is a journey that can be friend and foe. I was heartbroken, but the miracle of this child's footprint in my heart was to open my eyes to the possibility of being a mother to a son.

On June 27, 2007 I received a phone call from a local agency we had contacted earlier in the year, who once again told us our file had been selected by a birth mother. She was due in late July and wanted to meet us. This time, we were extremely cautious, no more going out and buying everything for a new baby, only to return it all a week or two later.

We were scheduled to meet her 5 days later and see if we were a fit for one another. God, giggled again, 3 days later we got a phone call at 10:00 pm, the agency informed me that the birth mother had gone into early labor and for us to get down to the hospital immediately!

My head was spinning, there were 1,000 emotions running through my mind, exhilaration, shock, dismay, fear, unworthiness, insecurity; you name it, I felt it. My identity had become that of a person WAITING to become a mother, not of actually being one. I was shaking on the way down to the hospital, it was exactly like I was watching myself in a play as we walked down the corridors of the hospital and met a complete stranger, who would bestow and entrust to me the greatest gift one could ask for, this woman, created a family that night and made me a Mother; there are no words.

I watched a child come into the world, as the nurse wrapped him in a blanket and asked who was to hold him first, the birth mother looked at me and said, "She is the mother", and I was handed a beautiful baby boy.

There is a saying that God is in your first and last breaths, I never fully comprehended that until I witnessed and held this pure life in my arms. Due to our ongoing China adoption and this being a domestic and local adoption, I have not been free to acknowledge or share our amazing gift.

The short version of it is, we got our referral and traveled to China for our long awaited daughter, and ended up with virtual twins, only a month apart in age; God must be laughing out loud at me juggling the things for which I did not plan, but in his infinite wisdom set into place the stewardship of two of his precious children for me to care for, teach, learn from in return and to adore them as they in turn fill my heart with love. I will not post his name, due to privacy issues which are a part of domestic adoption, but now proudly introduce my first blessing from heaven, "Lil Dude".



33 comments:

Doreen said...

G-d didn't laugh, He hugged you. Twice. What a wonderful story.Thanks for sharing.

Doreen in Montreal Mom to Faith Jiangxi-& Mia-Sichuan

Anonymous said...

Valerie ~

What an amazing story. God has truly blessed your lives with these two beautiful children. May God continue to bless your lives with happiness and love.

Thank you for sharing your stories with all of us. I follow many of the stories of adoptions on the internet since my sister adopted our beautiful Lizzie in China in 2005. The stories of how God moves through our lives is amazing and have touched my soul with joy.

Take care,
Lisa in Gibbstown, NJ

Robyn said...

Even though I know this story by heart I can't help but think back to that night almost a year ago when you received that life changing phone call!! What a night that was!!!!

Watching him grow and change this last year and being a part of your lives has been such a blessing for us!!

Your family is truly complete now!

Love ya!

Erin said...

That little boy is an absolute gift from heaven. And to think I was there when it all started! He is such an amazing addition to our little group and so is his sister. I just love the pictures of the two of them together.

And thank you for including the pictures of him in the headband. I was wanting to see that whole thing once you told us about it and it is so much more precious.

We love you four so much. Thank you for letting us be a part of your lives.

Love, Auntie E

Manette said...

Too cute!!! Congratulations... We couldn't be more thrilled for your family. I can empathize with your emotional roller coaster and am thrilled that you were given two such amazing gifts.

Diana said...

Thanks for sharing this with us:-)
He is adorable and looks so much like his Daddy!!! You have been blessed twice with 2 adorable children.
Congratulations
Congratulations

AG'smoma said...

What amazing gifts!! I think they resemble each other, too! The pictures of them are SO sweet!!

Congrats!!

Fellow travelmates,
Brian, Cris, and Abby Grace

The Fab 5 said...

As I sit here and read your story I begin to tear. Your story is so similiar to ours. You hit it on the head when you said adoption can be friend or foe. We first tried international for that to fall through then went the domestic route for three to fall through before we got our pretty princess. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. He is such a handsome little boy. What a perfect fit for your wonderful family created by our gracious God. I had to laugh when you talked about God's timing it did not alway go along for ours but I now know why my perfect child did not come until last September and he knew long before I did. I am just not as patient as he is. Again thank you for sharing and enjoy your two sweet blessings.

Anonymous said...

Your children are beautiful! Congratulations. I followed your journey to Aubriana, so it is so much fun now to hear about your little boy. Blessings, Debbie

Louanne said...

God is good to you! What a blessing. I am so glad that you are able to now tell the story. I had wondered about Lil Dude in the past, but didn't want to pry. I am in tears over the joy of this. How fun!!

Unknown said...

V,
Y'all are just beautiful! God has blessed you and will carry you through this hard time of baby/toddler stage with virtual twins! I love seeing Lil' Dude's newborn photos again! Sooo little!

Love y'all!
Jodi Sue :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Isn't it awesome when God smiles and gives us a gentle nudge that He is in charge and not us! Your children are a true blessing and I am so happy that your home is now complete. We were so blessed to get to know you and Gary. I hate that we are so far apart. We will have to keep up with each other via email until we meet again.
Hugs, Jack and Melonie

Carolyn said...

He is adorable and the two of them look like best buddies! What great GIFTS from God!

Sylvia said...

Beautiful pictures and beautiful story.
Sylvia in San Diego

Christie said...

Valerie, my dear friend - you know I love you and getting to know your little ones has been such a pleasure after the three years we spent waiting for them together.

I am so glad to know you and your friendship is priceless to me. Thank you for this post - it made me weepy - we've come a long way...a long way indeed...

xoxo
Cb

Gail said...

A beautiful story. Thank You so much for sharing.
You have a beautiful family.
Blessed x 2.
Wishing you all the best.
Enjoy!

Eloise said...

Wow! If I ever need a secret keeper, I'm calling on you!

What a wonderful, wonderful story. You are indeed blessed to have two such beautiful children, but equally blessed are Li'l Dude and Aubriana to be a part of such a loving family. Congratulations to all.

Erin said...

I have to tell you that you made me cry. I came to your blog again to look at Lil Dude's pictures and the Allison Krauss' song "Baby Mine" started playing. This is the one song that I could sing to Mollianne right after we got her that would immediately calm her down. To this day, she asks me to sing "Dumbo" to her whenever she is scared, having Mommy snuggle time or when she gets out of the bathtub. It is the one song that NEVER gets deleted from my MP3 player and when it plays in the car, we sing it to one another and look at each other in the baby mirror. It is "our song" and holds the most special place in my heart. I didn't know that this song was widely known but having it playing on one of my dearest friend's blog....that is priceless to me.

"From your head down to your toes, you're not much, goodness knows. But you're so precious to me, sweet as can be, Baby of Mine."

Love you, E

Anonymous said...

You're children are really beautiful...especially "lil dude". Congratulations.

B

Anonymous said...

Oh...and before I forget (not that I could) I wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to lil dude...I hope his birthday is the most amazing one ever...and I hope he has fun!

B

Unknown said...

I'm a birthmom myself to a little girl born in 2006, and now I'm expecting again... I can't wait to be a mommy now, and now I'm ready as in before I wasn't... I'm just curious, do you have an open, semi-open, semi-closed, or closed domestic adoption? How do you think the levels of contact are going to play into factor with the differences (domestic and international) if you have even a some-what open adoption with your son? Anyways... ADORABLE little boy, GORGEOUS little girl!

Susan said...

They are a perfect brother and sister! How wonderful for you all. Thank you for sharing your story once you were finally able.

susan c.
jan dtc 2/13/06

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! You have a beautiful family. It is truly amazing what the Lord will do with your life when you completely turn it over to Him.
Blessing to you!!

Samba said...

Congratulations from one twin mom to another. Trust me...two is easier in many regards. I know I know it does not feel that way right at the moment...but it will. Yes is it double the diapers but they are able to intertain themselves better. Watch out for the "poopyplay" once they can figure out how to undue their diapers it can get a little "messy". This was one of my twins favorite naptime activity...not a pretty sight.

Enjoy your blessings.

Dawn in Sac - awaiting PA for her little guy who will be a virutal twin to meimei - giving us two sets of two.

http://talesfromthebigtomato.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful story and so well written. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Catherine said...

Beautiful! I love it when God takes our hearts, hopes, dreams and prayers and reveals His Will for us! What a precious family you have!!

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Valerie, oh you are truly blessed! What a gift! Lil' Dude is beautiful! I am so glad the babies are growing up together and you have so many close friends that have little ones too...instant best buddies! The song Beautiful Boy and looking at lil' Dude just brings tears to my eyes! Double congrats, Mommy!
Norah

Duchess of Lanier said...

How wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing! It is amazing when everything comes together. So happy to hear it. As you know happy stories from others keep encouraging those of us waiting. They both have such fun, happy, and loving parents!
Trena

Anonymous said...

V&G: tears of joy for you both and the children--you beautifully captured the whole experience and I loved reliving it with all the extra details. love, m

Anonymous said...

V&G: tears of joy for you both and the children--you beautifully captured the whole experience and I loved reliving it with all the extra details. love, m

Shawnstribe said...

words cannot even begin to express what i feel now....God is sooo good
hugs
xxx
s

Courtney said...

What an amazing journey you've been on! Congrats on your "twins"!
What a blessing!