Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giving Thanks

I am still stunned that Halloween has come and gone, and now it is Thanksgiving.  This used to be one of my top 5 holidays, a day to get dressed up and visit relatives for a wonderful feast with the table dressed in it's very best china and linen.

Then it became a day to be shared with football, the family was still there, and plenty of food, but the sport brought with it a less formal feel to the day, less time allotted to reflect and acknowledge our blessings and the bountiful life we lead on a daily basis simply by living in the right generation, in a wonderful country.

Now it seems to have evolved again, it is a marker to put up your Christmas decor.  What was once the pre-launch day to "Black Friday" has now become the first shopping day of the holiday season.  People are actually working on Thanksgiving Day and foregoing home, family and tradition to man cash registers of the ever demanding retail market.

Christmas music is being blasted around the clock on radio stations and in shopping malls (some since November 1), when you forget your traditions and abandon family to shop for the best deal, where is the meaning behind a holiday at all.

If we are immersed in Christmas from late October onwards, doesn't Christmas day itself become the signal of the end and therefore the loss of something instead of the point of the season itself.?

In these trying times where many of us find ourselves lighter in the wallet and heavier in the bills, wouldn't it be nice to take a moment of reflection and count our many blessings still?

I am thankful for:

A home to envelop my family in
food to fill our bellies and hunger being a stranger to our door
health enough to enable us to enjoy one another and find laughter in our daily deeds
two children who force feed my heart with more love than a person has a right to enjoy
friends who nurture me and share their lives and love with me and know my flaws; and like me anyway
freedom to live where I like, practice any religion I choose, and be a individual with rights and value.

I hope you practice the tradition to acknowledge your blessings and give yourself a moment to give thanks for all you have.  There is time enough for all the rest and that is something else to be thankful for.

With a Thankful Heart.

5 comments:

Wanda said...

Happy Thanksgiving, sweet Val!! I'm glad that you "get it". Almost sounded like an echo on this post.

Hope you're having a perfect holiday. (btw - tried to e-mail you but it bounced back. Did you change your address?)

Hugs to you!

Unspoken said...

Valerie,

You leave me the sweetest comments and I truly appreciate every word. Thank you so much. In the list of things I am thankful for this year, your kindness is included!

I am working hard against the Christmas machine and regaining meaning for the season and my life.

I have been wondering if we're all trying to recapture just being thankful for the simple things in life. The economy seems to be bringing us back around to what's important. Happy Thanksgiving :)!!

Christie said...

Sing it sister...you know I agree with every bit of it...

I'm thankful for YOU!

xo

Debbie Sauer said...

Wow, your kids are growing!! I followed you to China, but somehow lost your blog. Good to be able to checkup on the kids now. Blessings.

Dita said...

I'm sorry to say that I missed this post back at Thanksgiving when it ran. As you know, things here quickly spiraled out of control in a hectic, but good way.

As I read your reminiscence of Thanksgivings of yore...I remembered each of those incarnations of what I always considered my favorite holiday. Time to spend with family and reflect...and who could leave out...time to EAT the best food of the year, in my humble opinion! The encroachment of football did, indeed, make it more casual but still a "togetherness" holiday...though the boys were always cheering in the backgrounds.

But THIS...what its come down to now, so eloquently depicted by you...this is NOT Thanksgiving. It truly does seem like the starter gun at a race these days. Christmas is a mad blur and the two most grand holidays celebrating family and giving thanks to all we have...seem swept away in Target circular.

It will be up to us, I'm afraid, to bring the traditions back to our children and teach them to slow down and savor the true meaning of family, friends and sincere thanks.

Your words ring true no matter the time of year. I am so fortunate to have you in my life and though many miles separate us....you are never further than my heart.

I love you,
Dita