Sunday, February 14, 2010

Descent in Suspension

This slide was huge and you had to climb up steep rope steps to get to the top.


Challenging obstacle course made it hard to get to the slide at the end; this was about round 5.


Mini sibling throw down - after he helped her in.



A successful finish to his latest "hurdle".


Falling.  I have been free falling emotionally for quite a while now; my life lately seems to be designed by a track and field star whose expertise is hurdles.  I look behind me and into the distance ahead and see row after row of hurdles.  Some huge and daunting and some small and annoying but very few breaks in between them.

 Even the strongest of athletes gets tired and grows weary of the challege of the event and takes some time off to regroup and come back stronger and more devoted to their sport than before or perhaps they change course altogether and retire from that tried and true road to discover something different, easier, more achievable for this stage of their life.

Health is like a long time friend who you take for granted will always be there steady as an old oak tree; but sometimes when we least expect it, that friend is no longer quite so reliable nor steady.  You realize that as with most things in life the things that make it sweet can quickly be taken away and leave in its' path a void that you never dreamed would be so large or dark.

I feel like an over-aged fighter in the ring getting pummeled and repeatedly knocked to the ground struggling to get up again and again, when everything inside of you that once insisted you keep fighting and never give up is suddenly crying to lay down and just let it be.

Is there shame in surrender?  I used to think so, but maybe giving yourself permission to give in to exchanging yesterdays goals for simpler aspirations with grace today isn't really surrendering but submitting to a fate that was always stronger than your desires to begin with. Is the wisdom of aging  learning to compromise what you want for what you have and be at peace with that?

Sometimes I wonder why I was blessed with my children at the stage of life I am at with the hurdles I have in front of me, and I can see the reasoning of the powers that be, that maybe this part of my life's journey would require assistance and understanding from a relationship that did not exist in my life prior to my children.  They are here to redirect my old goals and help me accept with grace new aspirations for where this life leads me. 

I will lay down for a moment and think about where I have been and where I am going, I will get up again, but instead of fighting my opponent, I will embrace them and call a moment of truce.  I have new roads to explore and a revised set of aspirations for this chapter of life, which now includes two new guides to help me stay the course.

I can even venture to say that without my two new class mates in this school of life I may not have granted myself this personal hall pass to take a moment to breathe, process, accept what challenges lay before me and have the desire to get back to see what the lesson plan is for today.


Happy just to be...



Enjoying what is placed before you.



The joy comes in sharing the experience with one you love.


Happy Valentines Day to all the Lover's of Life and it's many twists and turns.

7 comments:

Wanda said...

Oh Valerie,

I don't know why (well....maybe I do) but for the last 2 weeks you have been on my mind. I would come by and wonder how you were and pause for a moment because I could almost feel something was up. I am not a stranger to what you describe. I think we share a lot of the challenges, questions, doubts (and joys) of this incredible adventure (later in life).

I'm not sure if you realize it but it sounds like you have made peace with this lastest "hurdle" and THAT is so encouraging for me. Thank you. (As I have caught my foot on a few too many of those hurdles lately and have done too many face plants as a result.)

I have come to so appreciate your honesty, even in your delicious sense of humour. (And I'm so grateful to Dita for sharing a few of her special friends with me, as I feel like I've gained a pass into a special sorority and I feel a lightening of the burden of this experience because of it.)

Wishing you continued peace and....well....love you already have!

Hugs,
Wanda

Dita said...

What an incredibly honest post, Val. I know how difficult these past several weeks have been for you. It is true what you say that we take our health for granted. I, too, am guilty as charged. I guess I just figure that it'll always be there, even though I know I have crossed over as time passes to odds that are a bit less concrete and much more Magic Eight Ball than ever before.

I marvel at how well you keep it together. I can tell you that some of what you are feeling is, I believe, a rite of passage when we hit this age...I am feeling it too...do we need to stop wanting and make peace with what we have. I have asked myself that very same question...and then I realize that what I have is what I have always wanted, only the packaging may not be as flashy or ornate as I had imagined it so long ago.

When I think back to me a dozen years ago...or even 20 years ago, I can truly say that what I wanted was to have the security of being loved for who I am and the opportunity to love in return, unconditionally.

I have found that and I believe that at this point in my life when I am questioning so many things and also looking ahead at the hurdles that lie in front of me...that I have found peace in knowing that that LOVE exists and it is alive and well in my life.

I can live without the fancy packaging and the bling...but without that love...those loves of mine...I cannot.

I agree with Wanda, it sounds as if you have come to terms and peace with the now. I also agree with you; your new chums on this journey have made all the difference in the way you percieve life...and your place in it.

You have become a cherished friend to me and to so many others, Valerie, and if I could ease your burden for even a moment I would. I am here for you in every way and I am so grateful for our special friendship; one that I wasn't looking for but quickly realized I was sorely missing.

Life is a journey, after all...not a drive-thru..so we need to savor even the hard times because they make the good times so much sweeter.

Be the mommy but remember, those two are the real teachers.

Big giant Bear Hugs,
xoxoxo
Dita

P.S.
How sweet Wanda is for thanking me. There is not one girl from our little "sorority" that hasn't individually told me how much they love having Wanda a part of our group! What a doll she is!

Dita said...

Oh, and by the way...I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE seeing the new pictures of the kids. They are getting so big and are, as usually, completely ADORABLE.

The one with them holding hands in the snow is priceless...WITH UMBRELLAS...now that is SO TEXAN! Huh, snow in Texas......who'da thunk?!

Christie said...

All I can say is that I love you. You are a sweet treasure and I cherish our friendship more than you know. You make me laugh, and you make me feel better after hard days. I'm safe with you and I know you will speak truth to me.

We must come to peace first within and then with those we love. V - it may not be what we expected...or what we dreamed...is anything? But oh, to love and be loved...just like your entry wall says. There is so much to be thankful for, to be grateful for...to be at peace over.

I know I'm thankful for you, and how could I have ever had you in my life, were it not for the winding road we've taken?

Blessing all in disguise, but there.

Happy Valentines, my darling! I heart you!

Lady C

Jodi said...

I love you!!! You are not alone!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Hi Valerie,

I am so sorry to hear that you being thrown hurdles left nad right. Sometimes life is not fair and all those hurdles make you wonder if somewhere when you were at a fork in the road, you chose the wrong path.

My life was full of hurdles and obstacles a few years ago......and I thought that maybe I did choose the wrong path........ I did not.... I made it over each of those hurdles and you will too.

I am a firm believer that God only gives us what we can handle. You might need to work extremely hard and depend on the help of others to give you a boost over the hurdle, but you will make it through this obstacle course of life.

Thinking of you and hoping that things get a little easier for you!!

Adorable pictures of your precious ones:)

Hope that you had a Happy Valentine's Day!

xo,

Lisa

Unspoken said...

Valerie,

There is a graciousness in your comments that is tangible and I thank you for offering it to me at my blog today!

Most warmly,
xxamy