Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Where Is The Love?




It has been 9 weeks since you started pre-school.  In those first few days, you would cry as we dropped you off, clinging to my neck or leg and pleading with me not to go.  When I would disengage myself from your chubby little hands and kiss that tear stained face for our final good-bye, I had to will the tears to keep from flowing out of my own eyes.  You would then immediately seek out your sister and two of you would cry and hold one another while we walked away.

This behavior went on for the first week and every Monday for an additional 2 weeks thereafter.

For a little over 2 weeks when I picked you up and would ask "What did you do today", you would report sadly "I cried" and "Sissie cry too".  My poor heart was cut with each admission of your sadness.

But the bright spot in all of those days was picking you up in the afternoon: I would eagerly walk towards your classroom to watch you both unobserved through the classroom window.  You were always with one another and so immersed in whatever task held your interest at that moment; but the second the door opened you would both swing your heads around with anticipation and scream Mommy/Daddy and come running to us with such enthusiasm the sad heart from the morning would sing with joy to be greeted with so much love.

Then there was yesterday.  We arrived at your classroom and opened the door, there were no tears, no regrets, neither of you looked back in our direction, but you, Lil Dude, you went running with open arms to your teacher and gave her a giant hug and Aubriana went to find a book.  I waved bye bye and blew you a kiss.  I gave a half hearted smile towards your teacher and wondered if she could feel the ice behind my stare?

I convinced myself, this was good, you were forming bonds with others and felt comfortable here. I looked forward to picking you up from school all day and when it was time, I went to the window to gaze at you both once again.  You were playing in different areas, no longer needing to be within each others grasp, completely engaged in your individual activities.  We opened the door, and Aubriana looked up and smiled and showed me her magnetic blocks.  Lil Dude never bothered to lift his head to even see who had entered the room; clearly, he wasn't expecting anybody.  I waited in the doorway for someone to notice me, I walked over to Aubriana and touched her blocks and hugged her shoulder.  I kissed her head and said "Hi princess"; Lil Dude was still oblivious to our prescence, so I said his name out loud and he turned and looked at me for a second and looked back at the toy in his hand.

Is it just naturally part of human nature to take those who love us and treat us better than any other people on the planet for granted?  My deepest sorrows come from people who were by birth or choice in my life because we loved one another.  Once we allow someone into our lives and to share our love with them we in exchange give them great power to wound us with that love.

To love a child is to commit to someone that is constantly in a state of change, they are different people from morning to nightfall.  Evolving before our very eyes at such a speed, it is hard to describe their personalitites and character traits from one week to the next. 

I never knew becoming a mother would involve so much sadness, disappointment and hurt feelings.  I have never loved anyone with this much loyalty and devotion, my expectations were it would be exchanged in a circle; but I am learning that my love flows out straight to my children and is non-stop in it's purposeful direction.  Their love ebbs and flows it's way back to me. When it washes over me, it lifts me up and bathes me in warmth, when the tide is low I selfishly want that feeling again. 

I often feel that being a mother is a greater learning experience for me than growing up is for my children.
Unfulfilled expectations are a direct route to disappointment.  I must teach and live that giving for giving's sake is a gift in and of itself.  If love comes full circle, than you have been twice blessed.

My apologies to Miss Sandra for the icey stare.






5 comments:

Dita said...

Oh, Val, I felt like you were describing ME when you spoke of how the tears flow at the morning drop off and that lump in my throat swells as I turn and walk away hearing her screams for me.

Miss Stefania tells me that she stops before I even hit the exit of the building but my selfish heart just doesn't believe that. On the rare occasions that I get to pick her up (usually JR and WonderBoy pick her up) I, too, hide at the window watching her...in disbelief...is that MY child sitting still in that circle actually behaving in a room full of 2 year olds? I wonder what she'll do when she sees me. Yes, she used to run to me like a closing scene of the sappiest love story when the lovers finally reunite.
I would, once again, be upon the pedestal and be her whole world...and then, the other day, something happened.
She saw me from the window...I walked into the room...so full of my Mommy Self and my Superior Position over all the Liliputions that studded the floor beneath. She approached me in slow motion. I was ready for the big finish...and then, a downward head and a furrowed brow appeared and she said..."where's Papa"...can you say 1000 pieces? That was what my heart was in....1000 pieces! She was annoyed that it was ME instead of her father at pick up.
And, in true Dita fashion....I was jealous of JR for at least an hour when we got home!

It is a circle, Val. I, too, am coming to grips with it but I have to believe that the bonds that I am forming with them, if done right, will continue to flourish (though ebb and flow) into their adulthood...and, honestly, I wouldn't change a thing.

We are so incredibly fortunate to be their caretakers...even just for this little while...and the joy, as you know, is immeasureable.

with a great big hug to my sweet, sensitive friend (a girl after my own heart)
xoxoxo
Dita Darling

Wanda said...

It is the never-ending story - rarely spoken about - rarely admitted. Thank you for so poignantly sharing this.

I really do know exactly how that feels. To feel such deep, desperate love with huge expectations and in one second - crushed to the depths in the next. These feelings almost shock me. No, they DO shock me! I had no idea someone so little could make me hurt so much.

And then, give me such moments of bliss in another second. It's bi-polar!! Why didn't someone tell us that going in? We could have been better prepared....like with....meds or something! ;)

I always enjoy these glimpses into your mind and heart!

Unspoken said...

Valerie,

You have such a way with words. You pour out your heart here and it a beautiful post. Being a mother is so much more complicated than one can imagine, even when she IS one:)!

xxAmy

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Oh Val, I can so identify with everything you wrote.

It has been a while since I have had to deal with a preschool, but the memories of taking Nick each day are something that I will never forget.

I was very ill when he was born and he spent the first three years at home with me or my Mom..... when he was three my Grandmother was dying of cancer and my mom could no longer care for both my son and her mother, so we put him in daycare.

He was such a fragile child.....he watched me go through so much and was deathly afraid that when I left him somewhere, I might never come back....... or that I would wind up in the hospital again.

Every morning I dropped him at the daycare and every monring the teacher had to unclutch his little hands from around my neck as he screamed and cried for his Mommy. I would cry as I drove myself to work..... As I reached my office, I would call the school and they would tell me he was fine as soon as I left. This ritual went on for over 9 months....and it was brutal..... I would pray every morning when I woke up...."please do not let him cry when I leave"

One day it finally stopped....... you would have thought I would have skipped out the door in joy. Oh no..... I think I actually felt worse than I did when he was clawing my neck and screaming Mommy.

There was part of me that was happy to see that he was becoming a more confident child and learning to form bonds and build relationships with other people, but there was also that part of me that was feeling sad that maybe he didn't feel the same about me......his Mommy!

Being a mother or a parent is not easy......and every day is a learning experience and a roller coaster ride. There will be highs and lows, but we have to stay the course.

xoxo,

Lisa

Unspoken said...

Checkin in. Love the Neil Diamond song on here! How perfect. Just perfect.

much love,
xxAmy