Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Out Damned Spot and Out of the Closet Too


Exhibit "A"

There was a time in my life, not so long ago, that I considered myself a person who cared very much how I presented myself to the world. My nails would be polished and trimmed, my hair coiffed in an appealing manner, my grooming top notch and I would dress in a lady-like and presentable fashion.

That was b.c. (before children) I now find myself scrambling for spare seconds to brush my teeth un- interrupted or a stolen moment to run a brush through my hair. I was in a room of my home yesterday and I had a strange feeling of not comprehending exactly where I was. Things were strewn all over the floor and shelves in disarray, bags of seasonal decor and children's items long outgrown. What used to be organized clothing hung neatly by type, color then season was now a hodge podge of items no longer recognizable to me; could this be MY closet?

When did my wardrobe go from luncheon outfits and night on the town ensembles to a literal rainbow of t-shirts and stretchy pants. Everyone of which, upon closer inspection is stained with some unknown substance which coincidentally matches the same stains I have struggled to remove from my children's clothing?

My mouth was agape by the horror of items in front of me, there wasn't one thing I would give you a $1.00 for at a garage sale and yet my closet was filled with shapeless, tasteless, waist less clothing that appeared to have been handed out as napkins at a Medieval Times Festival and then re-purposed as clothing for street people of the world; how it all came together in this one small room is a mystery to me.

Is this what it has come to? I struggle to insure the children are always looking their best, most coordinated and up to date, and hope that nobody notices the two adults that accompany them to various excursions around the cityscape are wearing clothing circa 1995?

Exhibit A. We had a week of freak weather here recently where it was very cold for Texas. I went to the thrift store that is my closet and sought out a warm outfit to wear. I came upon an outfit that I know I wore on our first house hunting trip to Texas, 11 years ago. I blew the dust off the shoulders and tried it on...the tight white velour corded leggings and overly long peach sweatshirt looked just like they did back in the day (ridiculous). I stood before the mirror and noted that the name brand on the shirt front was one no longer used by the store from whence it came and looked even worse upon the person, who unlike the ensemble, had aged in the last 11 years.

My husband came in and I said I wore this 11 years ago and he said great it still fits! Of course it still fits, it's like a one size fits all plethora of fabric; stretchy leggings and a shirt big enough the Octomom could have worn it in her 9th month; it wasn't like they were my "skinny" jeans.

The sad part is, I actually went out in it, what choice did I have? So long have I neglected my wardrobe, the choices are virtually indistinguishable. I have to make a concerted effort to update this wardrobe before the kids are savvy enough to be embarrassed by their parents. I remember well my mom in her bright floral moo-moos and white nurses shoes (she wasn't a nurse, but thought they were "comfortable")


I obviously have a hard time throwing things away if there is technically nothing "wrong" with them. Somebody call the What Not To Wear show, I need an intervention.

I would donate them, but just because you are down on your luck doesn't mean you have no taste. I'm going to need a bigger rag bag! Unless....I wonder if these qualify as "vintage" yet? You know they could come back in style.

Please use this cautionary tale to prevent this from happening to you or a loved one, bad clothes happen to good people.

Valerie



6 comments:

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Hi Valerie,

It is funny how our kids come along and things change.....

I was one that always had the full set of nails, manicure and pedicure, hair done every 5-6 weeks, went to Macy's or the mall at least once a week to purchase the latest fashions for myself. I loved clothes, shoes, handbags.....all of it...and had the time and the money to blow on it.

When the kids came along.....that all changed. There was no time for the extra pampering....and I really had to watch the spending....

Thankfully, I have a job that requires me to get out of the house on a daily basis and make sure I am dressed in the proper business attire....otherwise, it would be very easy for me to live in my yoga pants and jeans and tshirts!!

I remember the time in my life when I stayed home with Nick...... my closet was just as you described yours.

Sounds like you have a little shopping in your future!! Hope the weather stays warm for you......my friend lives in Fort Worth and said that it was beautiful yesterday:)

Take Care my friend!!

xo,

Lisa

Wanda said...

Oh Valerie....I have bad/sad news. IT'S TOO LATE! For me anyway - there may be hope for others - thus your very considerate warning in this post.

The other day I happened to catch a reflection of my Mother in my mirror. Only sadly, she is no longer with us. Nevertheless, there she was!!!

I have a boudoir (sniff....I like to call it that....'cause it's the only room that's mine. Well, it was mine - BC) oh so similar to yours. As for the clothes - I have a uniform. It's just easier that way. When I need something to wear I just say...."ok, so whad'll it be? The black or the black?

I'm afraid there may be no hope for us. Thanks for putting a comic spin on it. May as well laugh. It's better than the alternative.

Happy Wednesday lovely lady!

Dita said...

My first thought when I saw this post was...Damn, that girl keeps a REALLY nicely made bed.

My second thought was how on EARTH did Val get a Venezia sweatshirt...I thought they were banned like in '85.

And so I continued to read on and realized that I too suffer from the very same syndrome. I believe if I dig deep enough into the Black Hole that is my closet I will find a pair of Jordache AND Sergio Valente jeans (probably with the comb still in the pocket and a roller skating entrance ticket along with it)and my favorite pair of high heeled vinyl Fiorucci black boots that I wore for an entire year exclusively.

When WonderBoy graced my life 10 1/2 years ago I, like you, stopped all of it...dressing, shopping, making up, even wearing jewelry. If I can't get ready in 10 minutes flat (including the shower)I'm sunk. I only recently bought a blow dryer and I still can't work the thing.

But my little man, on the other hand, looked like Little Lord Fauntelroy with finery galore and not a smiggen of foodstuff, marker or goo anywhere near his person.

I literally haven't worn a watch since then. I figure I can't get anywhere on time now that I have children anyway so why bother. I stopped wearing the beautiful earrings I used to adorn myself with because 1 year old WonderBoy would pull on them...yep, 10 years have passed and I haven't included them back in my repertoire.

As for clothing selection...well, as Wanda explained...I, too, have worn a uniform for the past 10 years. Anyone who knows me will tell you that its either black or black, or shiny black and if I do wear another color its usually a bath towel which only lasts for seconds. Even my pajamas are black. (I am not kidding)

I had a meltdown when planning my wedding because I realized that I was going to have to wear white. The day was perfect except for my white gown.

I keep thinking no one will notice......

Yah, I know......wishful thinking!

Loved this post, Val!

xoxoxoxo
Ditarama

Unspoken said...

Oh this was so funny! I loved it and I know that closet! Valerie, you made me laugh so hard :). Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Nancy said...Ilove your post, very cute, but oh soooo true! Mom to 2 precious daughters from China.

Diana said...

That is too darn funny as I think I had that same outfit in a different color:) I wore it ALL the time:)