Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Guarded Heart

The Guarded Heart
Hides behind a shield to muffle it's lonely cry;
if you take the time to listen and learn the reason why,
it will open wide for you, if only you will try.



The blessing of two children was bestowed upon to me
An unexpected boy and a long awaited she.
The boy with velvet eyes and a smile most disarming
So playful and so tender and always, always charming.

She came to me with loveliness as a veil that she wore;
My love for her was instant and from deep inside my core.
This child had a soul that had seen the world's trials;
the innocence of babydom had been gone for many miles.

Old soul what can I give to you that you don't already know?
Love without condition and to touch the heart you're scared to show.
But something new is rising from behind your beauty veil;
a sweetness and a trusting through this real life fairy tale.

Your eyes shine with renewed hope and a light that has a twinkle
You hold me with your gaze and in your laughter I hear a tinkle.
When I offer gentle kisses and wrap my arms around you tight;
I get back what I have given; you no longer fuss or fight.

Oh how long I have waited to walk this path with you
to watch you grow and fulfill your dreams most true.
My special little princess, my perfect Asian pearl.
Always and forever my darling chosen girl.

Love, Mother

8 comments:

AG'smoma said...

Oh Valerie~my eyes are filled with tears as I read this. I'm so glad that she is letting her guard down and you are reaping the rewards of your unending love for her!! What a beautiful poem, one that she will cherish throughout her years, I'm sure!

Miss you guys and best wishes for the New Year!
Cris

Christie said...

Love your talent and sweet words...

and you!

Wanda said...

What a beautiful gift you have written for your little girl. We can feel your love for her and how proud you are of her journey.

Wishing you a wonderful New Year.

(BTW - thanks for stopping by and making me laugh...about the serving up peaches. Way too funny pretty lady!)

Wanda (at Last...)

Dita said...

Leave it to you to express this long awaited milestone in such a beautiful, loving way.

I can't even imagine what her first memories are but I do hope that as she grows, they will always echo the unconditional love and adoration that perpetually flow just for her when she is safe in the arms of her Mommy.

Happy New Year, My Friend!
xoxoxo
Dita


P.S.
My heart skips a beat when I see photos of these two! I wish you'd post more!

Anonymous said...

Oh, thuis reminds me of my sweet love, my four year old Jane!

Anonymous said...

PS Thank you for your words to me at my blog, both beautiful and fitting.

Unspoken said...

Valerie,

You have spoken flawlessly, beautiful and true. Surely one of the best written comments I have ever received :).Thank you!

Above:
My response to your comments about a piece I wrote called Water. Thank you for finding me again. I have been lost in many ways, so thank you.

Amy

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Hi Valerie,

I know you really don't know me, though I feel like I know you.... I am a friend of Dita's.... she speaks so highly of you and has told me to come over to "meet you"....looks like you beat me to it!

I can see why you two get along so well. I have read the comments you leave and now the way you write. You have a way with words..... just like Dita.

What a wonderful post for your little girl Your words are beautiful....as are your children.

Have a wonderful week!

Lisa