Sunday, September 6, 2009

Old School Mama


When did raising children become such a HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE AT ALL TIMES OR THOU WILLST BE JUDGED affair?

I acknowledge that I am an "older" parent; one who was raised to "shake it off" when injured, ride your bike everywhere (just call when you get there), play outside until the street lights come on, drink from the hose, stay out and play no matter hunger, thirst or pain type of gal.

We survived 2ND degree sun burns, cuts and wounds, bangs to the head all without visits to the E.R. There was lack of proper vitamin intake, Spaghettio's was our favorite vegetable, the park was filled with rusty metal equipment, an old plane body where we crawled deep into the fuselage hidden in darkness and told deep secrets to our friends. Somehow living without a personal television, stereo, radio, cell phone, and plethora of electronic toys was survivable.

We could turn an old box into a car, house, ambulance, garbage truck or any other vehicle real or futuristic we imagined. Many of our favorite toys came from Texaco with a full tank of gas. One give away was little plastic animals from Noah's Arc, each of which was inventively named by my brothers and me by simply adding a "y" to the end of each said animal i.e. Skunky, Elephanty, Hippopatumusy, Snakey etc.

We watched the Banana Splits, Three Stooges and Looney Tunes cartoons and were even allowed to see the commercials. The big adult show was Johnny Carson, and even this we watched from the hallway lying on our sides to get a glimpse of what was making the adults laugh so heartily.

I bring all this up , because it has come to my attention, that parents today are SO uptight about their children. What they eat, drink, see, learn, who they play with, what is considered "safe" and over-scheduling them in classes and sports to help them to compete in futures so far away that I wager most psychics and Magic 8 Balls would say in unison "TOO SOON TO TELL, ASK AGAIN LATER".


As an example, we went out to breakfast and dinner today. At breakfast, the waitress busily cleared all glasses, sugar bowls, jellies and butter knives from the table. I wanted one or more of each of those items as did my husband (and the kids for that matter). I asked her why she was punishing us, and she stated that most people don't want anything breakable or sharp near the kids. I nodded and noted the thermos of hot coffee on the table (for which there was no sugar).

I let our kids drink from actual glasses, and if they are encouraged to use a fork, what more damage can a butter knife do? I had to wonder about the jelly, because this is great fun to stack and knock down while waiting for your meal (and the kids like that too). My kids have even been known to eat one or three, because they are yummy and who needs all the carbs from bread anyhow?

After our meal, the kids like to clean up the joint by pushing the carpet duster and hand the busboys dishes from our table and any other tables that may need busing. I have no fear they are going to catch a disease or get dirty, and I like that they want to help people and understand that work is nothing to be ashamed of at any level. They think the cooks, servers, and busboys are like superheros, and they are. Thank G*d for people who are willing to do the menial and unrewarding jobs out there, they make our everyday existence pretty nice.

My son recognizes the American Flag, and whenever he points to one I say "God Bless America" and he echoes with his version "Bleez Merika". I want him to be proud of his country and honor it, but when he said this near a lady outside of McDonalds, she looked at me like I was teaching him to say "Sieg Heil"

Then we went to dinner, where the kids had energy to burn so afterwards we took their little cars into the mall, which had been closed for over an hour and let them ride up and down the elevators pushing buttons, and screaming to hear their own voices echo, and then while riding their cars the length of the mall we found the deserted ice rink with the doors open. We often watch Hockey games here and they love it, when we were showing them the ice rink they wanted to venture onto the ice so we let them walk on the ice. They were so excited to experience the feel of the cold ice on their hands and slide around in their sneakers, the looks on their faces were priceless. They were squealing so loud an employee came out who was closing up and told us due to liability issues, we had to get off the ice. Thank you sue happy people and lawyers who in the name of "safety" have made having fun a rarer and limited event.

We were leaving the mall and close to the exit doors were the escalators which were turned off. The kids thought it was great fun to go up and down the "stairs". Gary was following them up and down, but by the third time he was not as close to them as before (his assistance was not really necessary anyway, the kids had it under control). They went up one set and he followed them up the other (they are side by side). When the kids got to the top and ready to come down he was about 5 feet behind them and suddenly several restaurant customers were telling the kids to "wait, freeze, where are your parents, does anyone know who these children belong to?"
It was becoming a little "worrisome" for these people and a crowd started to gather. Gary said "they are with me" very calmly and the looks coming from these people were as if they had witnessed some sort of abusive behavior.

Now I realize our kids don't match us physically and people are wary and conditioned to assume the worst, but honestly people, for the most part with the exception of the random weirdo out there, unless your surname is Trump, Rockefeller, Winfrey, or Gates, NOBODY WANTS YOUR CHILDREN!

Parenting has got to be one of the hardest, beat you till your down, crush your will to go on, thankless, volunteer jobs that exists. The only thing worse might be someone who volunteers to dig latrines in a foreign country, and I bet the recipients of said latrines are pretty darned grateful compared to kids.


My children are always in my line of vision, but I DO allow them to have the freedom of movement without being attached to me every second of the day. This has actually encouraged them for some strange reason to not challenge space issues and therefore they usually stay in very close proximity. I have had numerous people stop my Chinese daughter to help her find her mother when I am 5 feet behind her.


The alarmists I keep running into are usually younger, 35 and under. They truly believe someone is waiting around every corner to take a child.
In this country, even in these times, we are actually a pretty safe society. We are so safe that the media has to come up with all this B.S. nonsense to scare us into thinking we are not safe. You can' t watch the news without hearing that tomatoes and peanut butter are killing the masses. Now your flip flops are out to get you too.


I guess what I am trying to say is, relax. loosen up, life is filled with unplanned occurrences some good, some bad but NONE foreseeable; I would rather raise my children to be proud, independent and fearless than try to keep them protected from reality and fears that are unwarranted and most often, beyond human control.

I better go get Lil Dude off the roof now, he was installing a flag pole and re-directing the satellite dish.

Relax and enjoy your Labor Day.

V

4 comments:

Jodi said...

I'm glad to join your ranks of "an older mom"!
What are you doing Thursday a.m.? a group of friends are taking the kids to bounce at The Zone! Jailyn would love to see Lil Dude and A! and I'd love to see you too!

I'm having shirts made up for the girls , "my mom is caucasian" this will be their new park outing attire! :)

Dita said...

I'm an old school mama too, sometimes....other times, I find that I succomb to the norms of society today...I have to admit it. Maybe its not to offend others, or to make others happy or perhaps its because my own brainwashing by the media and the way others seem to act as if they know infinitely more about how to raise my kids than I do.

I do, however, find many instances where I let them just be...and in turn, just be ME. Sometimes we go out and play in the rain, or walk barefoot in the yard and on the driveway all day..stubbing toes along the way, or eat with our hands and take cookies and hot chocolate into the tub.

I find I'm "a little bit country and a little bit rock n'roll" when it comes to the kids...which, given my own upbringing by my MamAlarmist (who, by the way does NOT run with the under 35 crowd)I think I'm doing pretty well.

Oh, and I would have freaked if they took my jellies and sugars away at breakfast...what would a breakfast be without my daughter empting EVERY sugar packet on the floor or into her mouth and licking those jellies clean?

Love your posts, Val, you crack me up while you're making serious sense....wish you'd post more (hint, hint!)

Christie said...

Quint organizes every sugar packed holder - they all come out and they go back in. Se la vie.

As for the rest, you must do as your heart dictates, and not worry about others. It's too easy to judge when you aren't the one living it...so we just have to ignore that crap and live and do the best we can...

to wear them out, that is.

I luv ya!

Mimi said...

Hi there, I've been enjoying all your posts, came here from "she writes".
This post is very interesting, and I agree with you,most kids are actually harmed not by strangers but by people they know, and often in their own homes.
"Reasonable care" and some freedom is good.