Thursday, July 31, 2008

A birthday letter

Dear Aubriana,

I find it hard to believe that you are 1 year old. You have been a part of our lives over 3 months; in some ways it is "only" three months, but in my mind you have been my daughter forever.

I always wanted a little girl, and my yearning for you started decades ago. In May of 2005 when we officially decided to create our family through adoption, I allowed myself to love the idea of you; the years spent waiting for you caused that feeling to deepen.

We named you, we spoke of you and we planned for you. Almost three years to the day, we met you and the space in my heart reserved just for you was filled with such joy and love and knowing immediately we were meant to be mother and daughter.

Here is what I know about you thus far, you are gentle and sweet; giving and kindhearted. You show empathy when you see others in distress. You are a great eater and generous with food and toys, you are a sound sleeper and look like an angel when you sleep. You only cry when there is something wrong. You are studious and thoughtful about all things which cross your path. I believe you are very intelligent and will achieve whatever you set your mind to.

I wish I could have been with you from the moment you took your first breath and shield you from any hurts or pain that may have come your way.

On this day my thoughts go to your birth mother and what she must be feeling today. Wondering about you and how and where you are. I want to tell her how grateful I am to have you in my life and promise her that you will always know warmth, security, family and love.

Families are created in God's time and design; she was meant to deliver you to this world and I was destined to guardian you through it.

Be secure in the knowledge that you are thought of and loved by all of us lucky enough share our life paths with you.

Happy birthday my little love!

Endless hugs and kisses, Mommy

5 comments:

Christie said...

Ahhhh shoot - I'm weepy again...so sweet V - just love you to pieces and love this letter to sweet little A.

You don't need me to tell you what a gentle and sweet spirit she has - but she's truly a little miracle.

Love you,
c

Anonymous said...

What a sweet letter. ((HUGS))

Shawnstribe said...

Valerie so beautiful!!!!!
xxx
s

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful birthday tribute - Aubriana will love reading this letter over and over when she is older! And the photo montage is priceless--I especially love the pix of the two of them together! love, m

Anonymous said...

Chill bumps followed by tears...thank you! What a beautiful letter to your sweet baby girl!
Norah